Thursday, December 03, 2009

Advent Decorating and Crafting

Advent is in full swing here in our home! It's so much fun and so very exciting to say the least! I love watching my daughter's eyes light up whenever I tell her it's time to do Advent Adventures...to do school...hang her Jesse Tree ornament...or to open the box for the next day of Advent! She's so full of joy and life at this age! I however have been a grumpy gus and have started asking her to remind me to not be grumpy...lol! It is working! She tells me :) I am trying hard this Advent to sacrifice here and there through some small deeds. This practice does help me find joy in the midst of the craziness that is caring for my two children on opposite ends of the personality spectrum. Hopefully all of these Advent practices are blessing my children and my home (that is the reason I do them). I share them with you in case they inspire or bless you too! :) AND perhaps I'm teensy bit over-the-moon about ADVENT!!!!

Here's our First Week of Advent Felt board for homeschooling. I decided to focus on one word instead of three. I do mention the other two key words and discuss them briefly, but given all the other things we are doing I'm trying to keep it simple.

Photobucket

This is our Advent Wreath I made to match all of our other decorations. I try to decorate using liturgical colors so pretty much there's a lot of purple ribbon, evergreen-green, and pinecones.

Photobucket

Here's my Advent Angel from Foundations by Karen Hahn. It has a different symbol for every day of December. I love this angel! It says "In your light shall we see light".
Photobucket

I usually don't pull out these Foundations pieces until Christmas but they are so lovely I hate to only have them out for so short a time so I decided it would be okay to have them out with the Advent and then the Christmas decor. They are too beautiful to not have out for both seasons. I draped the purple ribbon across the Christmas angel to signify the season. I will remove it for Christmas and place gold ribbon around the mini christmas tree (not shown) that is next to her.

PhotobucketPhotobucket


Here are some other pictures of our decorations:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

The ornaments are our Jesse Tree ornaments I'm making out of felt. I decided to do felt since then we can reuse them each year and not have to worry about the littlest one tearing them apart if he takes them off of the tree. It's a little more involved and sometimes I have to GASP sew...but it's working well!

More on Advent Calendars next...

Advent Blessings!

No comments: