Thursday, January 08, 2009

Endings and Preparations

The Christmas Season is almost over and I'm a little sad that our poor, unwatered Christmas tree didn't make it to the end of the week. SIGH. I suppose I should be happy the giant beacon of lights, chokeable objects and temptation is out of the house and no longer calling to my two toddlers. Yet I find myself sad. Christmas isn't over yet! Christmas without a tree is a little sad. But, Praise the Lord it's not all about the tree...the presents...and the lights...it's just really about Jesus. I'm thanking him this Christmas for that special moment in time that has allowed us to make beautiful family memories over the years. After all, if Jesus hadn't been born in a stable, laid in a manger, and visited by angels, shepherds and wise men we wouldn't have a reason to celebrate this special time of year.

So we're coming to an ending in the Liturgical season, but my mind has already jumped to some upcoming events...my anniversary (5 years on Saturday) steadily approaches...Valentine's day is almost here (I can't help but be a big sap when it comes to this romantic holiday...I'll find a way to incorporate Catholic stuff into it too!) and last and certainly not least...(drumroll please) LENT is soon upon us! Woot!

I must say that I'm uber excited to try out some stuff during Lent with my 2 year old (soon to be three year old). Hopefully some of it will stick in her little mind. This is the year of starting traditions and these ones seem most important. I read somewhere (forgive my forgetfulness) that there are no store displays for Lent, no presents to be opened...no reminders of the season...yet it is perhaps the most important time of year for us as Catholics. After all this is the time we return to Him who loves us more than life itself. "Return to me with all your heart"

So I'm seeking out ideas for Lenten "decor". I have a few things already (mostly home grown from trips to Michaels) and my list of must haves and must create(when able to afford) is as follows:

Alleluia Card (to hide as Lent begins...probably just have the kids color it and remake it every year)
Lenten/Easter Banner
Stations plaques/cards
Sorrowful mysteries wreath/hanging plaque
Crown of thorns wreath plaque
http://www.rosary-religious-inspirational-gifts.com/crown-of-thorns-wreath-plaque-p-190.html

Faith wall plaque
http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/FAITH+WALL+PLAQUE/cid=506/page_no=5/edp_no=15765/shop.axd/ProductDetails

Service wall plaque
http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/SERVICE+WALL+PLAQUE/cid=506/page_no=5/edp_no=15764/shop.axd/ProductDetails

Lenten journey map/calendar (either desert path or Lamb with cotton balls...thanks to all the 4real ladies for these ideas!)

I'm still madly searching for more Easter ideas. If anyone has any links or ideas PLEASE send them to me. I have a hard time finding religious Easter stuff that I like beyond the cross with the easter lily or the draped fabric. We don't do bunnies but I'd love a Resurrection Lamb somewhere...or maybe that should go on the Easter banner...hmmmm. Can you tell I'm brainstorming as I type? :)

We did Holy heroes, Advent Adventures (www.holyheroes.com) during Advent and I'm also UBER-EXCITED for the Lenten Adventure! I think (at the very least) my oldest will get a sense of preparation for Easter. Hopefully it will be a special time for her! And for us all!

Praise God for His Church and these Holy Seasons!

Merry Christmas ;)

Evie

No comments: